Create > Circular Narrative Series
Goal: Create a collage of a series of photographs illustrating a circular narrative.
- What is a circular narrative > http://goo.gl/AjQnkR
- Circular narratives cycle through the story one event at a time to end back where the story originated. Rather than provide a clear conclusion tying together the remaining pieces of the story, a circular narrative will provide closure through a return to the opening material.
- A circular narrative is a narrative that has certain plot points repeated. we see this demonstrated in many modern films, such as Fight Club and Swordfish. The films commence with the climax of the film, in the case of Fight Club it's Tyler and Cornelius in the skyscraper before the bombs detonate. from this first scene the film traces the events leading up to this climax until we eventually get back to the scene of the skyscraper right before the buildings explode.
- Start with an image depicting a setting or event. Begin by coming up with ideas for the last image then working backwards in your planning/storyboard.
- Then go back in time and capturing the events that lead up to the starting image.
- Have the first and last image be the same.
- Use an online editor to make the collage (befunky, picmonkey…)
- Short Film ‘Circular Narrative’ > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ermgxzFmqQ8
- Check the Movie Looper > http://goo.gl/WfI84
- Looper Movie Trailer > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iQuhsmtfHw
- Watch ‘Catch 22’ > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gmKTD3yBKI