Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Deepen Understanding > My Wage: Rittenhouse

Instructional Strategy

  • Questions & Cues

Learning Activity

  • Deepen Understanding > My Wage: Rittenhouse 


In comment section,

  1. Interpret the poem - what does it mean?
  2. Is this believable?
  3. How can you apply this to your life or future experiences?
  4. +1 peer comments you believe are the strongest responses.


My Wage
I bargained with Life for a penny,
And Life would pay no more,
However I begged at evening
When I counted my scanty store;
For Life is a just employer,
He gives you what you ask,
But once you have set the wages,
Why, you must bear the task.
I worked for a menial’s hire,
Only to learn, dismayed,
That any wage I had asked of Life,
Life would have paid.
Jessie B. Rittenhouse
Jessie Belle Rittenhouse (1869-1948) was a literary critic and poet. In 1930, she was awarded the first Robert Frost Medal for lifetime achievement in poetry.


No comments:

Post a Comment